(AFP) Sunday 2 January 2011
Japan are taking nothing for granted at the Asian Cup after their best-ever FIFA World Cup™ on foreign soil, as Middle East rivals line up to spoil the Blue Samurai's bid to regain the continental title. Japan bowed to fellow three-time champions Saudi Arabia 3-2 in the 2007 Asian Cup semi-finals, failing to lift a third straight title, and now the two giants are grouped together with Jordan and Syria in Qatar.
Despite a run of warm-up defeats, the Blue Samurai reached the FIFA World Cup last-16 in South Africa in June when North Korea, South Korea and Australia - but none of West Asian powerhouses - also represented the continent.
"We are aiming high as a matter of course," Japan coach Alberto Zaccheroni said, citing the country's FIFA World Cup feat and their triumphs in both men's and women's tournaments at the Asian Games in November. But the former AC Milan boss admitted: "I expect tremendous battles ahead.
"Australia and South Korea may headline the tournament," he said. "But I feel that teams from the Middle East will be quite formidable as they can fight in conditions quite close to home."
In their opening game on 9 January, Japan face Jordan, whom they narrowly defeated 4-3 on penalties in the 2004 Asian Cup quarter-finals before going on to beat hosts China for the trophy.
Zaccheroni, who had never coached a national team or foreign club before joining Japan, got off to a convincing start after taking over from homegrown World Cup boss Takeshi Okada. With the 57-year-old Italian in charge for the first time, Japan upset a full-strength Argentina 1-0 at home and fought to a scoreless draw away with cross-strait rivals South Korea in friendlies in October.
I feel that teams from the Middle East will be quite formidable as they can fight in conditions quite close to home.
Alberto Zaccheroni, Japan coach
"Going out with this line-up, we should not fear any opponent," Zaccheroni said as he called up eight Europe-based players, including CSKA Moscow midfielder Keisuke Honda and Borussia Dortmund rookie Shinji Kagawa.
Honda scored in Japan's wins over Cameroon and Denmark at the FIFA World Cup. Japan bowed to the Netherlands 1-0 in the other group match and missed a quarter-final spot by a penalty shootout loss to Paraguay. Kagawa, 21, has attracted European clubs by scoring eight goals in the first half of the Bundesliga season after moving from J-League side Cerezo Osaka.
"The Asian Cup will be a tournament where we will demonstrate how much we have improved after the World Cup," said Honda, known for his aggressive play and straight-talking approach. "Of course, there is only one thing we aim for," said the 24-year-old, who has always vowed to go for the title in any tournament.
Zaccheroni though will be missing World Cup centre-backs Yuji Nakazawa and Marcus Tulio Tanaka through knee injuries, something he called a "great blow". But Cesena's Yuto Nagatomo, Atsuto Uchida of Schalke and Maya Yoshida of VVV Venlo are ready to guard the Samurai's backline.
"The history of Japanese football won't end at the Asian Cup. I want to use as many young players as possible to prepare well for the 2014 World Cup," said the Italian.
world cup champion
High School Football Player Died After Game Fullback Kevin Telles Collapsed During Game Friday NightSep 16, 2009 Terry Zeigler A young football player collapsed on the field during the fourth quarter with two minutes left in the game. Emer...
Alphabetical listing of all species in the Global Invasive Species Database: français 1. Abelmoschus moschatus (herb, shrub) English fran...
hasil pertandingan pra piala dunia zona asia tanggal 2 september 2011 kemarin antara lain indonesia 0 iran 3, sehingga indonesia membutuhka...
- ► 2010 (386)
- Japan brace for tough Arabic rivals
- chelsea vs aston villa review
- result football league,hasil pertandingan
- Apple iPhone Alarm Not Working - Temporary Fix Giv...
- Google Cr-48 Notebook Hacked to Mac OS X, Windows ...
- Download modem semua Hape, smart modem for all HP
- United go clear in England
- Manchester United VS Stoke City
- under armour high school football game 2011
- The 2011 Consumer Electronics Show – What You Need...
- Hosts Qatar stumble to opening defeat
- LSU football Coach Les Miles "in touch" with NFL l...
- LPI VS ISL
- iPhone 4 major leap on iPhone 3GS
- iphone or ipad
- Film From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- ipod, iphone new 2011 release
- asian cup 2011 7 - 29 january 2011 in doha qatar
- road to final asian cup 2011 part 1
- road to final asian cup 2011 part 2
- List of Super Bowl champions
- 2011 final: Wembley Stadium
- Komputek INETS EXPO 2011
- QNAP Luncurkan TS-x19P+ Turbo NAS Server yang Terj...
- FaceTime. Phone calls like you've never seen befor...
- world cup champion 2014, review qualification worl...
- schedule asian cup, review
- new laptop and notebook today
- Easy does it for Iran, Iraq
- Barcelona through despite defeat
- Notebook / Laptop Reviews, Tech, News
- flower festival 2011
- LPI VS ISL 2011
- asian cup 2011 qatar : Japan 3-2 Qatar
- Positive thinking is key: Sung-yeung
- asan cup result quarter final
- semi final asian cup 2011 qatar
- megavideo search 2011
- megavideo news blog
- birth flower february
- Tawkon Debuts Limited Edition Of Cellphone Radiati...
- Schwarzer: Title would boost Aussie game
- prediction final asian cup 2011 qatar
- barcelona celebration news collect
- japan the best 2011 in asia
- Liverpool Isyaratkan Lepas Torres
- Pique: Barca Harus Waspada Arsenal
- Klasemen LPI | Klasemen Liga Primer Indonesia
- MEGAVIDEO DOWNLOADER 2011
- Madrid and Marseille lose ground in title reckonin...
- Bunga mawar cantik dan segar (beautiful fresh cut ...
- prediction company
- TOS Crew Review: Times Alive! by City Creek Press
- Women’s round-up: January 2011
- Al Jazeera Sport buys broadcast rights to 2018 and...
- UEFA Executive Committee
- ▼ January (57)
(AFP) Sunday 2 January 2011