A simple RAM upgrade could make your laptop perform like a champ.If the CPU is the brain of a notebook, constantly performing complex calculations, RAM is the lungs. Pack in enough memory, and your notebook will breathe easy as you speed through games, spreadsheets, and other applications. A lack of RAM, on the other hand, will make your notebook asthmatic, panting and wheezing as it sluggishly executes tasks. Conventional wisdom would have you cram a notebook with as much RAM as possible, but just how much impact does adding memory have on a notebook’s real-world performance?
The Gear On our tests, we used a Gateway P-7808u FX running 64-bit Windows Vista Home Premium as our base machine. We installed 2GB of Kingston 1.06-GHz DDR3 RAM (two 1GB sticks for $35 each), 3GB of Kingston 1.06-GHz DDR3 RAM (one 2GB stick and 1GB stick for $33 and $59, respectively), and 4GB of Kingston 1.06-GHz DDR3 RAM (two 2GB sticks for $59 each). Note: The 32-bit version of Windows will read about 3GB of RAM.
With each upgrade—2GB, 3GB, and 4GB of RAM—we launched four programs using our application open test: Abode Acrobat Reader, Adobe Photoshop CS4, Firefox 3, and Microsoft Word 2007. We also performed our test while stressing the notebook by compressing a 4.97GB mixed-media folder in the background. Then we ran PCMark Vantage, a synthetic test that gauges a notebook’s performance in Vista. We ran each benchmark three times, and took the average for our results.
PerformanceWith 2GB of RAM installed, our notebook opened Acrobat Reader in 11 seconds, Photoshop CS4 in 26 seconds, Firefox in 5 seconds, and Word 2007 in 7 seconds. The PCMark Vantage score of 4,274 was nearly 500 points higher than the 3,789 desktop replacement average (most systems in this category contain 4GB of RAM). Surprisingly, bumping up the RAM capacity to 3GB, and then to 4GB didn’t improve the application open times by a significant margin. The PCMark Vantage scores, on the other hand, jumped 415 and 602 points, respectively.
We noticed a bigger performance delta when we ran our stress tests: Application open times slowed to a crawl with 2GB installed; Acrobat Reader took 61 seconds, Firefox took 1 minute and 24 seconds, Word logged 1 minute and 49 seconds, and the Photoshop CS4 file took a painfully long 2 minutes and 24 seconds. With 3GB of RAM, our machine significantly reduced Firefox’s and Word’s open times (55 seconds and 61 seconds, respectively). Across the board, however, 4GB of RAM had the most impact; it reined in the obscenely long load times and cut stress test times nearly in half (or better in some cases). With 4GB installed, our notebook opened Acrobat Reader in 43 seconds, Photoshop CS4 in 1 minute and 43 seconds, Firefox in 40 seconds, and Word in 44 seconds.
Verdict Although 2GB of RAM may be good enough for performing such simple everyday tasks as Web-surfing, checking e-mail, and watching video clips, if you need more power for opening large files or heavy-duty multitasking, the extra memory will be worth the splurge.
world cup champion
Thailand vs Oman Live Streaming Asia qualification world cup 2014 Brazil Match, September 6,2011 Tuesday, September 6,2011Thailand vs Oman Live Streaming Asia qualification world cup 2014 Brazil Match, September 6,2011 Tuesday, September 6,2011 Watch Thailand ...
Qatar vs Iran Live Streaming Asia qualification world cup 2014 Brazil Match, September 6,2011 Tuesday, September 6,2011Qatar vs Iran Live Streaming Asia qualification world cup 2014 Brazil Match, September 6,2011 Tuesday, September 6,2011 Watch Qatar vs Ira...
europa league live streaming 29 september 2011 Europa League - Group G Malmo FF 0 - 0 Austria Vienna Metalist Kharkiv 0 - 0 AZ Al...
- Inter Milan v Bayern Munich in Champions League Fi...
- How Much RAM Do You Need?
- World Cup 2010 Gambling Predictions – Group A
- Analysis group A
- Analysis group B
- Analysis group c
- Analysis group D
- Analysis group E
- Analysis group F
- Analysis group G
- Analysis group H
- Davies loses fitness battle (AFP) Tuesday 4 May 20...
- Best in Show: Intel Core i5 Processor LAPTOP's Bes...
- Best Smartbook: Lenovo Skylight LAPTOP's Best of C...
- Lippi talks Totti, Nesta and Amauri (PA) Tuesday 4...
- United confirm MLS match
- Zenit go clear at summit
- How to Dry Flowers
- Acer Aspire Timeline 1810TZ This version of the 1...
- Spurs plan to take Europe by storm
- Mourinho's Slovenian starlet
- Liga Indonesia review
- Perang Bintang 2010 akan digelar bulan Juni
- FIFA releases information on squad lists for South...
- Al Wahda crowned champions
- La Liga goes to wire
- 33 day countdown to africa
- who will be world cup champion africa 2010...asia ...
- Johannesburg World Cup 2010 Stadiums
- Ellis Park
- Cape Town
- Nelspruit World Cup 2010 Stadium
- Rustenburg World Cup 2010 Stadium
- Pretoria World Cup 2010 Stadiums
- Polokwane World Cup 2010 Stadium
- Port Elizabeth World Cup 2010 Stadium
- Bloemfontein World Cup 2010 Stadium
- Unlikely faces in England squad (PA) Tuesday 11 Ma...
- compaq hp
- 30 days to go (PA) Wednesday 12 May 2010
- DOWNLOAD 2010 WORLD CUP TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
- Ballack concerned by injury (AFP) Sunday 16 May 20...
- Bayern on course for treble
- world cup predictions
- Draw sets Youth Olympic scene
- Clark banking on momentum
- HP MINI 1014
- Malouda: We're going there to win
- review champion league 2010
- Inter milan review
- quotes ..... Parreira: We'll perform with pride
- quotes group b
- Mourinho hints at Inter exit (AFP) Saturday 22 May...
- The History of World Cup Football
- Korea Republic see off Japan in South Africa warm-...
- New Laptop Battery By Khanh Huynh
- Mothers Day Flowers Delivery - A Time-honored Trad...
- South Africa climb seven places
- Bursa taruhan top skorer Piala Dunia 2010:
- Saudis make Spain sweat (PA)
- France fail to fire against Tunisia (FIFA.com) Sun...
- Dos Santos cut from Mexico squad (PA) Monday 31 Ma...
- new flower
- ▼ May (67)
- ► 2011 (584)
Label: news daily