- New Dell OptiPlex 980 desktop is the most powerful and the most energy efficient commercial desktop Dell has ever offered
- New Dell FX100 zero client solution centralizes desktops with the performance and flexibility of a traditional PC
The company today introduced two new flexible computing options – the high-performance Dell ™ OptiPlex™ 980 commercial desktop and Dell FX100 zero client solution.
“Our customers, including large businesses, government agencies, healthcare organizations and small, medium businesses are looking to explore overall efficiencies in their IT infrastructure which means looking at systems that enable better productivity but result in greater power and cost savings,” said Brett McAnally, director, Dell Product Group. “With the OptiPlex 980 and FX100 we’re helping our customers strike a balance, offering flexible solutions and services that meet their complex demands.”
Dell OptiPlex 980 Desktop
Dell’s most powerful business desktop yet, the new OptiPlex 980, combines superb management and an environmentally responsible design. The new OptiPlex 980 can deliver up to 35 percent greater performance than previous generation OptiPlex systems³. The desktop can also lower energy costs with an energy-efficient design and environment-conscious features. New management features to enhance productivity include, virtual remote control capability with an optional Intel KVM (Keyboard, Video and Mouse) and simplified task management with Dell’s Update Catalog for Microsoft Systems Center. Other features making the OptiPlex 980 an ultimate commercial desktop computing experience include:
- Desktop Performance – With Intel Core processor technology (Core i5 or Core i7) options and Solid State Drive options for increased performance and reliability.
- Outstanding Energy Efficiency – With a 90 percent energy efficient power supply, the OptiPlex 980 can use less energy, helping to lower energy costs.
- Designed with the Environment in Mind – meets important environmental standards including Energy Star 5.0 and EPEAT Gold, EPEAT’s highest rating. OptiPlex 980 also contains more post-consumer recycled content than previous generations.
- A Quiet Workplace – the only commercial desktop with an optional Dell EcoKit that reduces system noise by up to 50 percent, helping to reduce workplace noise and increase productivity.
- Advanced Security & Systems Management – management innovation including the latest generation of Intel vPro remote management support, which improves productivity with a robust set of enterprise security options that are the hallmark of the OptiPlex brand.
Dell FX100 Zero Client Solution
The Dell FX100 zero client solution, ideal for both the Virtual Remote Desktop and the Dedicated Remote Workstation solutions, does not require a processor, operating system or corporate image to manage. And as a key component of Dell’s Flexible Computing Solution, the FX100 is a high-performance communication solution that uses PC-over-IP technology (PCoIP) to help businesses centralize client desktops while still delivering the performance and flexibility of a traditional PC. The FX100, previously only available as an access device for the Dell Precision R5400 rack workstation, is now shipping with new firmware that adds support for VMware View 4.0 with PCoIP.
Virtual PC computing over a network can be both a performance and bandwidth challenge but the FX100 uses PCoIP as an established methodology for providing high performance desktops over both LAN and WAN, further enabling key benefits of virtual remote desktops such as:
- Centralized client image management, storage, and processing in a secure location plus real-time secure access to corporate resources.
- Flexible access to virtualized client desktops from nearly any device as well as from high-performance FX100 clients.
- A true personal computing experience with support for all capabilities of a PC including optional support for host-based OpenGL graphics¹, USB, motion graphics and audio interactions at distances greater than traditional KVM limits.
- A near-zero footprint on account of the FX100’s fan-less, driverless and stateless form factor, which can eliminate the need to equip even remote users with a complex client device.
Dell Services offers a suite of highly customizable service and support solutions throughout the PC lifecycle including Dell ProSupport² and Dell ProManage. Dell also offers a robust set of services for organizations looking to migrate to Windows® 7. In addition, Dell offers flexible computing solutions, working with organizations to build a comprehensive solution for virtualization-infrastructure sizing, deployment and ongoing support.
Dell Inc. (NASDAQ: DELL) listens to customers and delivers innovative technology and services they need and value. For more information, visit www.dell.com.