(FIFA.com) Wednesday 9 June 2010
Just days away from the biggest gig of his career, opening the 2010 FIFA World Cup™ in South Africa, international R&B star R Kelly joked that he was so delighted to have his song chosen as the tournament's official anthem he would have been happy to walk to Johannesburg, let alone fly.
The American producer has won multiple awards during a glittering music career, including three Grammys, but this, the 31-year-old says, stands alone as the highlight.
"This is my World Cup, musically, and I'm very honoured to be a part of it," revealed the American, whose trademark song 'I Believe I Can Fly' is clearly the mantra by which he lives his life. "Any time you are involved in something this big and this historical, it automatically lets you know that you can fly too, in your own life. I believe I can fly. But I couldn't believe that this particular song was chosen, although I felt it was custom-made for this event."
'Sign of a Victory' is an inspirational collaboration with the Soweto Spiritual Choir, a group Kelly linked up with following some in-depth research by one of his consultants, prompted by the singer-songwriter's desire to work with "a beautiful choir". The finished article is widely thought to be one of the finest tracks the R&B star has penned, and is the product of considerable research on Kelly's part, with the American admitting that his football knowledge has only recently been acquired.
This is my World Cup, musically, and I'm very honoured to be a part of it.
R Kelly, international R&B star
"I believe in doing my research for something this big, so I went and got some books and watched soccer, and I really started getting into it," he said. “And two days later the song just started coming to me. I have a much better respect for soccer right now because of this whole World Cup.
"I grew up on the south side of Chicago, in 'the 'hood'," he added. "We had nothing and we used to kick whatever we could find around in the street – cans, bottles ... each other if we got mad enough! Basketball was pretty much the thing then, but on TV, every now and then, you could flick to a channel and see soccer. The only problem is that I didn't know the rules, I didn't know the game. It looked interesting, though, very interesting. But at that age, 12 or 13, you are just waiting for that ball to go in the back of the net – and I've been waiting on that ever since!"
Despite their traditional thirst for more visible results when it comes to sport, Americans, says Kelly, are currently in the grip of FIFA World Cup™ fever. And he includes himself in that. "Everywhere I go people are talking to me about it. They say, 'I hear you're doing the World Cup'. And I've been bragging,'You know I'm going to be opening up the World Cup!'. I'm telling everybody about it, but everybody already seems to know. It's the biggest thing I've ever been involved with, it really is."
The fact the tournament is being held in Africa for the first time too, is not lost on the international star, who has long harboured a desire to visit the continent. "It's extra special doing it here in South Africa, more special than anywhere else," he said, “because I believe that humanity, the spirit of people and DNA all started right here, in Africa."
R Kelly will be one of 1,581 performers at the Opening Ceremony at Soccer City in Johannesburg on Friday, alongside a host of big names from around the world, including TKZee, Shakira, Alicia Keys and the Black Eyed Peas, as well as Algeria's Khaled, Ghana's Osibisa and Hip Hop Pantsula. It will be watched by hundreds of millions of people in more than 215 countries and is likely to be the biggest pop extravaganza in the continent's history.
Kelly hopes the occasion, and his song will leave a lasting legacy in Africa and beyond. "I want my song to go beyond what I wrote it for and, perhaps, touch people all around the world and inspire them," he said. "I'm really hoping that with this song we can promote world peace first, and help with global-warming, and humanity around the world. This is my hope. I believe that music can guide us and lead us into a world of peace."
For the next few weeks, however, football is the name of the game. So, who does the R&B star believe will leave the Rainbow Nation as world champions this summer? "As far as that is concerned I have no idea," he laughed. "So, I'm going for South Africa!"
* Gates to Soccer City open at 10am (local time) on 11 June, with the Opening Ceremony starting at 2pm. Fans are urged to be seated by 1pm.Opening Ceremony
world cup champion
Thailand vs Oman Live Streaming Asia qualification world cup 2014 Brazil Match, September 6,2011 Tuesday, September 6,2011Thailand vs Oman Live Streaming Asia qualification world cup 2014 Brazil Match, September 6,2011 Tuesday, September 6,2011 Watch Thailand ...
Chelsea vs Manchester United Live UEFA Champions League - Chelsea vs Manchester United Chelsea vs Manchester United live online Match ...
South Korea vs Lebanon Live Streaming Asia qualification world cup 2014 Brazil Match, September 2,2011South Korea vs Lebanon Live Streaming Asia qualification world cup 2014 Brazil Match, September 2,2011 Tuesday, September 2,2011 Watch Sou...
- World Cup 2010, Group A
- Star flying high ahead of Opening Ceremony
- Stage set for FIFA World Cup™ Kick-off Celebration...
- Ghana veterans eager to fill Essien void
- Acer Ferrari One Laptops
- Lessons learned for Mexico (FIFA.com) Friday 11 Ju...
- Koreans hold all the aces
- ABOUT THE LAPTOP BRANDS
- Piala Dunia FIFA 2010: Pertandingan Terkini
- Italy begin their title defence
- South Africa team name
- Japan name profile
- Piala Dunia FIFA 2010: Pertandingan Terkini
- Brazil-Korea DPR
- Free Mac Laptop By Jennifer Till
- Piala Dunia FIFA 2010
- Cheap International Calling Card For World Cup 201...
- Cape Town World Cup Transport - How to Get to the ...
- Forlan silences South Africa
- Argentina-Korea Republic preview
- Higuain's hat-trick sinks South Koreans
- 9 Gonzalo HIGUAIN
- Sneijder: I can do much better
- What is Electronic Waste? By Darla Blackmon
- The Flower Trade By Sophia Grojsman
- Danish fightback crushes Cameroon
- Brazil and Italy look to shine Brazil and Italy lo...
- Slovakia-Paraguay preview
- slovakia versus paraguay
- head to head in world cup 2010 africa
- Why Buy a New Laptop Computer
- Dell Inspiron 14 Review
- HP Compaq 6730b Review
- Paraguay too strong for Slovakia
- Will Italy defend their crown? (FIFA.com) Monday ...
- New Zealand
- prediction for chile versus swiss
- Gonzalez downs brave Swiss
- World Cup General Information and Car Hire By John...
- Koreans march on as Eagles crash
- prediction and analisisy south korea vs uruguay
- argentina vs mexico predict world cup
- History beckons for 2010's golden boy
- analisys and predictioan USA vs Ghana
- Bradley: Something special
- The Perfect Flowers For Your Next Special Event By...
- Telaflora For All Your Flower Needs By I Reygan
- Flower Girl Gifts - Make Your Special Day Unforget...
- Italy's World Cup goes home after 3-2 loss to Slov...
- Increasing New Hire Satisfaction With Electronic O...
- Lippi takes the blame (PA)
- Portugal-Brazil preview
- hasil pertandingan piala dunia 2010 afrika selatan...
- round of 16
- DEATH MATCH IN ROUND 16
- Nature Online - Flower Delivery Through Cyberspace...
- statistic USA Vs Ghana africa
- two one in two match
- Capello says Rooney is fit (AFP) Sunday 27 June 20...
- Ayew comes of age
- Apple iPhone 4
- Tevez shines as Argentina oust Mexico
- Beating Off System Hassles With Computer Troublesh...
- Powder Metallurgy - Basic Information By Von Bauti...
- Flower Full Moon May 2010 By Loy Young
- Honda gunning for Paraguay (FIFA.com) Tuesday 29 J...
- Endo: We are mentally strong (FIFA.com) Monday 28 ...
- ▼ June (70)
- ► 2011 (584)
(FIFA.com) Wednesday 9 June 2010
Label: Opening Ceremony